We are recognised as a market leading law firm for our work with local authorities - a hard-won reputation supported by the fact that we act for 25 per cent of councils in England and Wales.
As the largest provider of legal support to the public sector, we act at every tier of local government, ranging from small district authorities to large metropolitan councils.
Our experience across the full range of local authority services is what sets us apart from the competition. It is a track record that spans a number of transformational projects, from city regenerations to improving services for children in care.
Core members of our team have worked in-house for a number of local authorities. This means we truly understand the issues faced by elected organisations and the unique culture of local government – the pressures, the powers and the opportunities presented by reform, including the range of new challenges introduced by the Localism Act 2011.
Our work for local authority clients includes:
- establishing companies to deliver back office services, ICT, energy, waste, CCTV, catering, school improvement services and audits
- advising on MBOs and setting up Community Interest Companies(CICs) and social enterprises
- outsourcing services and procuring private sector partners, including for Local Asset Backed Vehicles (LABVs)
- working with the Museums and Libraries Authority as the only legal firm on its panel advising pilot authorities on culture and libraries services
- dealing with restructurings and implementing new management structures
- exploring new models for collaborations between public authorities, including shared services
We work with a number of other public bodies including regional development agencies, the Local Government Association, ombudsmen, central government departments, non-departmental public bodies (NDPBs), health bodies and others. We pride ourselves on always being at the cutting edge of the latest policy initiatives driving local authority services.
At Bevan Brittan, we provide more than just generic advice. We use our hands-on experience of local authority operations to offer guidance that is specific and practical – and tailored towards tackling issues head-on.
View our EU procurement page