Advising on financial services and banking disputes is a core element of the service we provide to our major financial sector clients. We have a specialist team of lawyers at Bevan Brittan with a wide range of experience in resolving high-value and complex wholesale and retail financial services disputes. We also advise on statutory, regulatory and ad hoc investigations and inquiries for businesses and individuals from all around the world.
We have a strong reputation and are frequently called upon to represent financial institutions, businesses, partnerships and an array of public sector clients in connection with the resolution of complex financial disputes - arising either from the conduct of their core business or in connection with their activities as investors. Our expertise also covers disputes in the High Court, international arbitrations and many forms of alternative dispute resolution including mediations, which often involve multiple parties, fora and jurisdictions.
We act for a wide range of financial institutions including banks, building societies, general and life insurance companies, friendly societies and other distributors. We also regularly advise hedge fund managers, corporate finance advisers, corporate investors, mortgage lenders and intermediaries.
We make it our business to keep abreast of the latest business, legal and regulatory developments in financial services to enable our lawyers to develop workable and up-to-the-minute solutions for our clients.
Our experience includes:
- letter of credit disputes
- breach of mandate claims
- claims involving mortgage fraud
- defending and enforcing guarantee claims
- investigations and inquiries into regulatory breaches including SFO investigations
- disputes arising from banker-customer relationships including breaches of mandate, issues of constructive trust, set-off, inter-pleader relief, freezing orders and garnishee proceeding
- partnership disputes
- disputes in relation to breach of statutory duty including FSA obligations and data security
- claims in mis-selling, negligence and breach of contract
- obtaining emergency search, disclosure and freezing orders
- obtaining injunctions to prevent unlawful competition
- acting for (ad hoc groups of) unsecured creditors in international bank failures
- unlawful competition
- intellectual property disputes
- FOS adjudications and decisions
- coverage disputes
- misuse of confidential information