I am a health and social care regulatory lawyer with significant experience of advising health, social care and senior living clients (private, public and not for profit organisations) on service regulation.
My practice includes advising clients on a number of contentious and non-contentious matters ranging from regulatory registration issues, post CQC inspection factual accuracy challenge work, regulatory enforcement work and representing clients in appeals to the First Tier Tribunal and in criminal proceedings. I also undertake due diligence support for clients on the regulatory issues arising in the acquisitions of businesses. I further help prepare and train Executive and Non-Executive Board members, along with senior management teams, for CQC inspections, providing training and undertaking mock interviews on CQC “Well-Led” and governance issues. More widely I have also undertaken and advise on serious incident investigations.
I am recognised for being an approachable and friendly advisor to my clients, providing practical and business critical advice. I regularly give talks on regulatory developments and other key changes in the sector.
- Successfully securing the withdrawal of CQC from two First Tier Tribunal appeals made by two registered social care providers, thereby preventing the closure of the care establishments.
- Through instigating judicial review proceedings for a failure by CQC to correct a significant error in an inspection report, secured the reversal of a Requires Improvement rating to an overall Good rating.
- Advising in the due diligence of an acquisition of a large independent acute hospital.
- Investigating allegations of abuse made against Jimmy Savile for 5 NHS Trusts and Broadmoor Hospital commissioned by the DOH.
CQC Consultation 2 - Quality and Ratings
CQC Market Oversight Guidance Unlawful
CQC State of Care Report: Social Care
CQC State of Care Report: Key findings
CQC has issued its State of Care Report 2020/21
CQC Launches its 5 Year Strategy
DNACPR Notices: CQC Publishes Final Report
CQC’s Next Wave of Regulation and Enforcement
CQC’s Post-Covid Priorities for Inspection and Enforcement in Physical and Mental Health
Siwan's areas of expertise
- Independent Health
- Social Care
- Health, Care & Regulatory Law
- Care Quality Commission – Inspection Readiness and Response
- Children's Services
- CQC Regulation
- Deprivation of Liberty
- Emergency Out of Hours Advice
- Healthcare Due Diligence
- Internal Investigations and Inquiries in Health
- Mental Capacity and the Court of Protection
- Mental Health
- Regulatory Due Diligence
- Liberty Protection Safeguards