Healthcare providers operate within a very specific and tightly regulated environment. Bevan Brittan's employment team is ahead of the curve when it comes to advising on healthcare workforce issues: we have many years' experience of advising clients in this sector and are well versed in the specific considerations which come into play. We regularly advise clients on the full range of operational and strategic issues affecting healthcare providers, including for example navigating the NHS disciplinary / capability procedure Maintaining High Professional Standards (MHPS), advising Boards on the implementation of seven day services, Consultant Job planning, Doctors' banding claims and pay more generally, including national minimum wage compliance.
Our healthcare practice has continued to expand in the voluntary, independent health and social care sectors as well as in the NHS. We are particularly well placed to advise on the interface between the public and private sectors in the provision of healthcare.
We have continued to develop links with NHS Partners and the Independent Healthcare Advisory Service through the establishment of an HR Directors network as well as maintaining our strong links with the Healthcare People Managers Association both in London and the regions.
Key player in the healthcare sector and pre-eminent for work with NHS clients on a full range of employment matters.
Working with clients
The support we can offer includes:
- Working with clients on their performance management and governance agenda to ensure that they are embedding the principles and recommendations of the Francis Report.
- Supporting NHS Trusts in managing high level and complex performance and conduct issues of the senior executives and medical practitioners.
- Advising Trusts on taking steps to change the working practices of Doctors in order to facilitate the introduction of 7 day working.
- Providing a full range of operational and strategic employment law advice. Our strategic advice focuses on assisting clients in meeting the challenges of the 5 Year Forward View in particular in respect of the transformation and integration agenda, new models of care and workforce redesign, Sustainability and Transformation Plans and achieving ongoing efficiency savings and productivity as well as improving performance management (including performance related pay) and governance.
In our operational advice we particularly specialise in supporting healthcare organisations with:
- Complex performance and conduct issues for senior executives.
- Medical workforce advice and litigation (including High Court, civil and Tribunal litigation). We are increasingly well-known for this expertise and are one of a very small handful of firms that are equipped to deal with advisory and litigation work in this area.
- Sensitive and patient-confidential advice and litigation, focusing on assisting clients to maintain the overriding priority to act in the public interest and also to avoid reputational damage.
- Working closely with HR and management teams to upskill and develop their in house capabilities.
As the main sponsor and host for three cohorts of HPMA ASPIRE, we support the healthcare HR community to develop its deputy HR Directors for the future. We deliver this in partnership with the Healthcare People Management Association, producing a pool of strategically trained senior HR professionals, with an astounding success rate of more than 50% from the first cohort swiftly obtaining promotions into senior HR roles.
Our service is built on clear, focused, strategic support. We don’t sit on the fence. We’ll talk through the options and explain the risks. Then we’ll go one step further by telling you what we would do if we were in your shoes. It’s an approach that our clients tell us adds real value to what we do.
Chambers Spotlight: Richard Stirk
October 2020View all News
WEBINAR - New year, new immigration system…an overview of the UK’s point based immigration system
20/01/2021View all Events
Local Authority View #23
September - October 2020 #23 Your round-up of local authority related news and viewsView all Articles