For many organisations, developing new properties for sale or rent is a fundamental part of their strategy for growth, as well as delivering and providing an evolving service for their customers.
Bevan Brittan’s housing team act for developers of all sizes - from associations with less than 1,000 units, up to some of the largest providers in the country - to assist them with their development programmes.
As you would expect from our leading housing practice, our teams are experts in their field, carrying out all types of development work including:
- advising on acquisitions of new-build residential properties under section 106 agreements
- advising on acquisitions of land from local authorities to construct new housing (both affordable and private)
- support in relation to joint venture arrangements
- advising on conditional contracts and options to buy land from private and public sector land owners dealing with associated infrastructure, planning and funding documentation associated with the above.
However, just as important as our expertise in relation to the core elements of property and development work, is our in-depth understanding of the housing market, accumulated over decades of specialising in the sector.
What this means is that not only do our teams advise you on the “pure” property elements of transactions, but they will also consider the wider implications for each organisation in relation to its future use of the property, such as:
- providing clear concise advice on section 106 schemes in relation to the impact of planning and title constraints on future security value of the units being acquired
- “own-build” developments - considering and advising on planning restrictions and/or obligations contained in planning agreements that could impact on future security value, or have a potentially detrimental impact on the ability to obtain grant for the development
- considering and advising on issues in related to future sales of units on any developed schemes.
As a full service practice we have a team of housing experts who can advise you on any extraneous non-development matters that may arise during any transaction.
I am a property solicitor, working in Wendy Wilks' team. I primarily work on development transactions for Registered Providers, dealing with the acquisition of land and agreement of development agreements, together with advising on the associated planning and section 106 agreements.