NHS organisations rely on external legal advice for everything from the mundane to the extraordinary – from complex HR disputes through decisions around tendering services to cases involving both UK and EU law – such as the recent one involving withdrawal of treatment for a severely ill baby.
Good legal advice can save organisations money but it can also help to protect organisational reputation, meet regulatory requirements and deal with new challenges such as setting up joint ventures, working with other organisations within an Accountable Care System or Sustainability and Transformation Programme.
As the NHS changes, we work alongside our clients to steer their way through an ever evolving landscape, whilst appreciating their focus has, and always will be, with their patients first and foremost.
Our aims are straightforward:-
- to support and guide the NHS through challenging times;
- to help identify solutions and better ways of working to ease the financial and political pressure which the NHS is under and to keep patients safe; and
- to have the ability to advise on any issue and any transaction in the health sector.
Bevan Brittan is almost the omniscient legal advisor within the NHS – they appear to be providing legal support to every aspect of NHS transformation and across every area of the NHS. No other firm gets close.
Summary of recent successes in the public health sector market:
- Act for 9 of the Vanguard status New Models of Care projects (more than any other law firm) including National Lead Vanguards for pricing models and organisational models (including PACS, MCP, Urgent Care Collaboration, Acute Care Collaboration).
- Pre-eminent in infrastructure transactions including the £140m New Papworth PFI; Sandwell PF2 Project (the only PF2 to close in the health sector), £34m cardiac centre variation for Barts; a major variation for an outpatients dept at Alder Hey; refinancing of Leeds Teaching's £168m PFI scheme (confidential).
- Involved in 20% key, leading cases in Court of Protection - and also seminal cases such as the Supreme Court judgment in Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust v James.
- Working with our clients looking at models for delivering more efficient estates infrastructure and services: including SEP, bespoke joint ventures, estates and FM subsidiary models and Project Phoenix.
- Working with our health sector clients, NHS Digital and Healthcare UK on projects exporting British healthcare overseas.
The latest NHS news and articles can be found at Bevan Brittan's Insight Information Hub
Bevan Brittan reappoints Joanne Easterbrook as Senior Partner
April 2019View all News