Bevan Brittan has today announced a strong financial performance in 2017/18 - with revenues up for the sixth year in succession.
Key financial results were:
- Turnover in the year: £44.0 million - up 12 percent (2016/17 - £39.2 million)
- Net profit: £9.6 million – up 23 percent (2016/17 - £7.8 million)
Bevan Brittan, Managing Partner, Duncan Weir said:
“These results demonstrate our ability to deliver sustainable growth and profitability and represent a confident and successful year for the firm. We have a very sound financial platform to continue to deliver an excellent service for our clients in the years ahead.”
“We are benefiting from the delivery of our clear strategy to broaden our markets and range of clients; to invest in the talent across the firm; identify and attract new hires and to invest in new technology.
"Bevan Brittan now has a balanced client portfolio, partnering a significant number of local authorities and NHS and independent health and social care providers across England and Wales, a vibrant Housing practice and we now advise over 300 businesses. The private sector now represents over a quarter of our total revenues. "
During 2017/18, significant client appointments and activity across, healthcare, housing, energy, education, local authority and the wider private sector, included:
- Advising Peabody Trust on the appointment of a strategic partner for the development of Thamesmead Waterfront which will see the delivery of 11,500 new homes and associated site-wide primary infrastructure including an extension to the DLR.
- Advising major energy providers, such as Engie on their UK-wide projects and Argent and Related Companies on all the utility and district energy aspects of the Brent Cross South redevelopment in London
- Advising the largest Housing Associations across the UK, including Places for People, Sanctuary Housing and Yorkshire Housing
- Advising some of the major providers of independent health and social care, including Barchester Healthcare and BMI Healthcare
- Advising Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust on the development of Chase Farm Hospital - the most digitally advanced hospital in the NHS
- Winners for the second year running of Legal Advisor of the Year (Public Sector) and Legal Advisor of the Year (Public Sector Transactional) and Finalist for Legal Advisor of the Year (Private Sector) at the HealthInvestor Awards
- High Court and international litigation, including acting for the University of Oxford and Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
- Market-leaders advising councils across the country on setting up their new children's trusts, including Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council.
Bevan Brittan also successfully launched its new practice management and case management systems - 3E and Mattersphere – enabling us to continue to improve work processes, productivity and efficiency.
Bevan Brittan, Senior Partner, Joanne Easterbrook, added:
“Strategically, to sustain this level of growth we continue to invest in our future legal talent to maintain our high standards of client advice. This year we promoted 14 lawyers within the firm and we increased our number of trainees and apprentices, with one of our apprentices winning CILEx's Apprentice of the Year award.
"In 2017/18 we also achieved 12 Tier One rankings and 19 Band One ranked lawyers in Chambers and Legal 500 directories."