I am a corporate and social economy lawyer. I represent a broad range of clients including owner-managed businesses, investors, social enterprises, local authorities and multi-nationals. I have developed a special interest and expertise in social investment, group restructuring and reorganisations (including buybacks, insolvent turnarounds, s.110 demergers), share capital structures, debt and equity investment, corporate governance and compliance issues, directors' duties and business sales. I regularly work as part of larger cross-disciplinary teams on regeneration joint ventures and on infrastructure projects. I have experience of both domestic and cross-border transactions.
“Richard Hiscoke has gone above and beyond in both patience and helpfulness. He has been great at linking us with other likeminded organisations.”
- Ed Rowberry, Chief Executive, Bristol & Bath Regional Capital CIC
- Leading the team advising on the first structured charity bond with a social investment tax relief qualifying element. The £1m raised enabled South Bristol Sports Centre to build 6 five-a-side soccer pitches and have a social impact on over 1,000 community users a week. It also received the 2016 Social Enterprise UK Social Investment Deal of the Year Award.
- Structuring a quasi-equity bond issue for Glasgow Together CIC & leading the English and Scottish legal teams implementing the bond issue; advising Bristol Together CIC in its CITR qualifying social bond issues and refinancing enabling the CICs to expand the offender construction industry training programme.
- Lead advisor to a housing association on shari'a compliant property yield sharing investment offering, enabling it to diversify its property portfolio and increase the size of its refugee resettlement programme.
- Lead advisor Bristol City Council, Business West, the Society of Merchant Ventures, the University of the West of England and other civic organisations on the establishment of, and governance structures for, regional social investor Bristol & Bath Regional Capital CIC.
- Leading the UK, Canadian and USA legal teams advising on an international tripartite merger and tax driven group reorganisation for Western Global Holdings Limited including innovating the implementation of ‘exchange shares’.
- Leading the team advising on the CIC merger of three GP federations.
- Designing exit options for and leading the team advising a client on the implementation of the exit of an Australian investor
- Advising on the £32m MBO of a GIS mapping software company, which implemented a successful business succession.
- Advising on and implementing tax driven share capital restructurings including: growth share & freezer share schemes; employee share schemes; management incentives and phased management exit schemes.