I am a Solicitor in the Commercial and Infrastructure department of Bevan Brittan.
I advise both the public and private sectors on waste and environmental services projects in the UK, including a range of waste collection, recycling and street cleansing procurements.
Before going into law, I worked for eight years in central government in various policy and project management roles at the Cabinet Office and Department for Culture, Media and Sport. I worked closely with local authorities and gained a good understanding of the political and commercial issues affecting the delivery of their services.
Brief summary of recent experience:
- Advising a group of four Welsh Councils on their food and green waste projects, including options appraisal and procurement through Competitive Procedure with Negotiation
- Advising a Borough Council about the procurement of their waste collection services contract, using Competitive Procedure with Negotiation
- Advised a District Council on their waste collection, street cleansing and recycling contract using the Competitive Dialogue procedure
- Advising a waste disposal authority on the legality and financial consequences of using their powers of direction under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to procure new contracts for green waste to be used by district and borough councils
- Advising a Special Purpose Vehicle (in relation to a signed waste PPP project) on the construction and operational issues involving a gasification treatment facility, including the mechanism and timescales for receiving provisional Renewables Obligation Certificates