I am a housing management specialist with experience of advising on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious housing management matters. My work involves advising social landlords on matters such as anti-social behaviour and nuisance, possession, disrepair, subletting, hoarding and failing to provide access. I act primarily for registered providers, charitable organisations, arm's length management organisations and local authorities.
The Legal 500 have recognised me as, “first-rate".
John Cox has always been a tremendous colleague. His expert knowledge, combined with practical and pragmatic thinking, places him at the top of the list whenever I need legal resources or assistance.
Seminars and Training
I have spoken at the National Federation of ALMOs on private rental sector tenancies and have presented Webinars including an “Ask the Experts” session. In addition, I regularly also organise and facilitate training sessions for clients, both in-house and on-premises.
- I acted for a large housing association who acquired a block of flats pursuant to a Section 106 agreement. Each of the 10 units suffered from damp and disrepair, and a subsequent investigation found the development was substandard. My client faced disrepair claims from 10 separate tenants. We threatened to enforce the development agreement and negotiated with the developer a settlement of in excess of £200,000. We then settled all the disrepair claims for £64,000, leaving my client with a profit of in excess of £100,000.
- I acted for a housing association defending a disrepair claim which resulted in a costs award in my client's favour in excess of £30,000.
- I have obtained injunctive relief, and subsequently recovered possession of our client’s property following serious anti-social behaviour where the tenant suffered from capacity and mental health issues.
- I have obtained exclusion injunctions to exclude perpetrators from financially abusing vulnerable elderly residents at a sheltered scheme.
- I have obtained injunctions to stop people from posting inappropriate material on social media platforms regarding my client and their officers and recovered costs of nearly £6,000 from the perpetrator.
Gas safety during Lockdown
Are you managing to comply with gas safety regulations during the COVID-19 pandemic?
Bevan Brittan appointed as advisers to HALA
Gas Safety – Housing Associations Risk Regulatory Sanctions
Gas Safety Week: September 18-24
John Cox is a fantastic litigator and has extensive knowledge in housing law. He is a trusted lawyer and you know he has your back. His wealth of experience and dedication makes law look easy even in difficult cases.