We are committed to being a socially responsible business; by giving something back to our local communities in which we operate, and respecting the environment around us. We focus on three key areas: Charity & Pro-bono, Community Engagement and Diversity & Equality.
We actively encourage employee contribution, and all of our four offices take part in charitable fundraising. Last year our teams raised approximately £5,000 for our nominated office charities through various fundraising activities.
Our current office charities are:
St Peter’s Hospice cares for adults with life-limiting illnesses. They aim to improve the quality of their living and dying while extending care and support to their families and loved ones.
TOFS (Tracheo-Oesophageal Fistula Support) is a charity dedicated to improving the lives of all who were born with the TOF condition. They have been helping families through the challenges of bringing up a child with associated conditions for almost forty years.
Claro Enterprises is an adult mental health charity based in the community of Harrogate. It operates as a commercial workshop making goods for businesses, which enables those with long term mental health conditions, to function in a voluntary real work environment.
We support several charities in London throughout the year, selecting a focus charity for each quarter. Recent charities we’ve raised funds for include Mind and Crisis.
We have been awarded the Payroll Giving Bronze award. Payroll Giving is a flexible scheme which allows anyone who receives their pay through payroll to give regularly and on a tax free basis to the charities and good causes of their choice.
Diversity & Equality
At Bevan Brittan, we are committed to creating a culture where every individual is treated fairly and equally in our working environment, including the clients we work with and the companies in which we operate. We have an Equality and Diversity Policy and we are also signatories of the biennial Law Society Diversity & Inclusion Charter. Read more on our careers page.
Pathways to Law
Pathways to Law is a programme that looks to inspire and support students to explore a range of careers in law and build essential knowledge, skills and confidence required to go on to higher education and the world of work.
The Bristol office has hosted three students from this programme so far.
Mental Health Awareness Week
In support of Mental Health Awareness Week we took part in the Curry & Chat initiative, a new national event organised by the Mental Health Foundation. It is intended to encourage people to get together over curry and engage in dialogue about mental health.
Change 100 is an internship programme for disabled students run by the charity Leonard Cheshire Disability. The programme matches talented disabled students and graduates with prestigious employers across the UK, offering a three month work placement and nine month development programme to successful applicants.
2018/2019 Corporate Social Responsibility highlights:
- Employees across all four offices took part in the May 2018 Legal walk, raising money to support agencies that provide free legal advice to those who need it. Advice agencies do a fantastic job in preventing homelessness, resolving debt problems, gaining care for the elderly and disabled and fighting exploitation.
- A property solicitor in our Birmingham office, undertook a 200ft abseil for charity. The abseil organised by Holiday Inn Express/Colmore Business District, aimed to raise funds for SIFA Fireside - a charity supporting homeless adults in Birmingham.
- Our property team in Birmingham provided pro-bono legal advice to help Moseley Road Baths charitable group obtain a licence to operate historic swimming pool.
- NHS70 – to celebrate the 70th Birthday of the NHS, we advised our NHS Trust clients that we would match the value of any time invoiced on 5th July 2018 by making a charitable donation to their preferred charity.
- A team of 5 from Bevan Brittan completed the 3000ft four peaks challenge. The 43 mile route took the team to the tops of Scafell Pike, Scafell, Hellvellyn and Skiddaw. They did this is aid for Macmillan Cancer Support and mental health charity, Claro Enterprises.
- We donated the money saved on postage by sending out eChristmas cards to Edward’s Trust in Birmingham, St Peter’s Hospice in Bristol, St George’s Crypt in Leeds and The Maypole Project in London.
- Birmingham Sleep Out - a team of individuals from Bevan Brittan, along with their family and friends, took part in the St Basils Big Sleep out in December 2018. The team bravely slept rough for one night in very cold wet conditions.
- We were delighted to have advised Great Western Air Ambulance Charity (“GWAAC”) on first securing a lease and then the purchase of their new air base in Almondsbury, South Gloucestershire. We assisted the charity through this important stage in their history, exchanging contracts in the summer and completing the sale in December 2018.