I head up the firm's Litigation, Advisory and Regulatory department and specialise in mainstream commercial litigation. I undertake a wide range of dispute work acting for major corporate, local authority, healthcare and insurance clients.
I lead a department with a unique blend of lawyers who have a superb reputation for combining technical excellence with a clear, commercial focus. We regularly act on some of the largest and most challenging of matters and are always passionate about delivering the best advice and solutions to our clients.
I have a strong track record of success in litigation and arbitration, together with all forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), including expert determination, negotiation and mediation.
I act for clients in a wide range of fields and have considerable experience of advising clients in a range of sectors, including local and central government, health, housing, and independent companies.
Specialising in mainstream commercial litigation, I am quick to identify what the core legal issues are behind any given dispute and the tactical and procedural options to deal with them.
He is a very smart operator, a really nice guy but a really good, tough litigator as well.
I also advise on a broad spectrum of criminal regulatory matters including those relating to health and safety; fire safety standards; environmental prosecutions and waste.
We have teams and specialist lawyers who advise across all areas including:
- Collective actions and group litigation
- Contractual disputes and disputes involving tortious breaches including negligence
- Public and administrative law matters (judicial reviews and statutory challenges)
- Procurement (both advisory and challenges)
- State aid and competition law issues
- Professional disciplinary regulatory
- Insurance; liability claims and costs
- Employment, Pensions and Immigration
- Healthcare regulatory and due diligence
- Health & Safety and Criminal Regulatory and Enforcement
- Reputational Management; intellectual property and defamation
- Information Law; Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information
- Insolvency matters
- Investigations, inquiries and compliance (including fraud and bribery)
- Acting for a major UK brewer in a multi-million pound professional negligence claim over advice and consultancy services provided by a firm instructed to design and implement a new supply chain strategy for their UK business. This was a high profile case in the Commercial Court but settled following two separate days of mediation.
- Acting for a leading utility provider on a multi-million pound contractual dispute with a supplier of defective gas meters.
- Acting for a Metropolitan Borough Council in a £1.2m dispute over the use of a disused quarry for waste disposal purposes. The claim concerns the Council's obligations pursuant to a licence governing the deposit of waste materials at the quarry and restoration of the land afterwards.
- Acting for an IT consultancy company in a dispute with insurers over policy coverage following a substantial theft of computer hardware/software from their premises. The dispute led to a 6 day trial and involved complex allegations of material non-disclosure and a claim that fraudulent invoices were used in order to exaggerate the claim.
- Acting for the Professional Indemnity Insurers of an Independent Financial Advisor in a company’s £1.8m claim for alleged negligent advice not to wind up a Final Salary Scheme. The claim was successfully settled at mediation.
- Acting for an international producer and supplier of materials, products and services principally in the construction industry in a US$1.7m dispute with its insurers following a major kiln failure in Jamaica. The dispute centred around the applicability of a number of policy exclusions and particularly whether the damage was as a result of defective design or latent defect and/or operational error by the employees working in the kiln. The dispute was dealt with by way of an ad-hoc arbitration.