I specialise in medical law and have a keen interest in matters arising from the Mental Health Act 1983. I recognise the difficulties for healthcare professionals that can easily arise from attempting to help the vulnerable in our society.
An experienced advocate, I frequently appear at inquests and the Court of Protection, often on behalf of NHS trusts. I pride myself on rapidly identifying client’s needs and robustly advancing their case within the courtroom.
I also act within the Health & Care Regulatory team, offering expert assistance to individuals or organisations being interviewed or prosecuted by investigative agencies such as the CQC. Coming from a background of criminal litigation I have extensive experience in adversarial and contentious law and defending those accused of serious matters.
I am a committee member of the Criminal Law Solicitors Association, a representative body which consults with the government with regards to proposed policies, funding regimes and legislation.
James's areas of expertise
- Criminal Regulatory
- Children's Services
- Mental Capacity and the Court of Protection
- Deprivation of Liberty
- Serious Medical Treatment
- Mental Health
- Emergency Out of Hours Advice
- Internal Investigations and Inquiries in Health
- Health, Care & Regulatory Law
- Health and Safety Investigations
- Product Safety
- Police Investigations – Corporate Manslaughter and Gross Negligence Manslaughter