Climate Change Emergency and carbon neutrality
There an increasing numbers of councils and other public bodies declaring Climate Change Emergencies. This has been stimulated by the natural continuum of global and national policy work (including the UK’s Climate Change Act 2008), and heightened public opinion - voiced by Extinction Rebellion, Greta Thunberg and many others.
As lawyers, we anticipate playing a pivotal role in helping to shape policies and deliver subsequent activities and schemes, in the coming years. We are already widely instructed to support and advise clients on schemes that fall within the broader banner of addressing (and reducing) carbon emissions and tackling the climate change emergency. No doubt many of you are too, given that it touches most legal disciplines.
Our legal teams are able to offer and advice and insight into the key issues facing public sector clients; outlining options, guidance and providing case studies to demonstrate and supportive guidance notes to help navigate some of the more common (current) issues, such as:
- How to create binding strategies and policies
- How to bring your citizen’s voice into policy making
- How to use and adapt planning policy and what if you fail
- Options and types of schemes to help alter transport policy and emissions
- Options to address housing issues and wider energy efficiency debates
- Using procurement and commissioning strategies differently.
If you have any questions or would like receive future communications on this area please contact us.