I am a commercial projects lawyer and have been supporting public and private sector clients to deliver high value and complex infrastructure projects for over a decade. I have a wealth of experience on the development and negotiation of commercial agreements on major projects across a range of regulated sectors including energy, defence, health and transport. As part of my role on these projects I often lead cross-discipline legal teams (including, real estate, construction, planning and commercial) to ensure a joined up and cohesive service is delivered.
In particular, I specialise in advising my clients on the development and implementation of energy projects that support Net Zero objectives, including renewable energy projects, Green Hydrogen projects, energy storage and transport decarbonisation projects (such as EV infrastructure for car and bus). I advise on these energy projects from “cradle to grave”, supporting my clients on delivery structures, dynamic regulatory landscapes, complex market challenges and ultimately successful completion of the contracts.
I also have a comprehensive understanding on all aspects of the regulated procurement processes in public/private partnership arrangements and managing the requirements of various stakeholders (lenders, authorities, regulators and end users) through the life of the procurement.
- Lead adviser to EirGrid on the maintenance services arrangements (including related funding advice) for the sub-stations to be constructed as part of the multi-million Euro Celtic Interconnector Project – allowing the exchange of electricity between France and Ireland through an undersea high voltage cable.
- Supporting on numerous electric vehicle projects, including advising Statkraft on the due diligence exercise of Vattenfall’s existing Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Business, Redde Northgate Plc (a mobility solutions platform providing vehicle lease services) on the acquisition of ChargedEV (a UK specialist electric vehicle charge point operator) and First Group Bus Division in relation to a range of Electric Bus Charging Infrastructure Projects
- Lead adviser to OZEV in relation to the design and delivery of the £950m Rapid Charge Fund to support the roll out of Electric Vehicle Charge Points on the UK’s strategic road network.
- Lead adviser to Transport for Wales on the £5bn franchise of the Wales and Cross Border Rail Services and South Wales Metro. This was a “first of its kind project” featuring an innovative vertically-integrated solution (whereby the train operator is also responsible for the condition of the network) and procurement of rail services using the competitive dialogue procedure. As the project developed the work further involved supporting Transport for Wales on its COVID emergency measure arrangements and ultimately the transfer of rail services from the private sector to public sector operations.
- Advising Ascent (a Babcock and Lockheed Martin joint venture) on its delivery of the £3bn United Kingdom Military Flight Training Services programme, a project to provide an integrated pilot training solution for the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
- Advising Alder Hey Children's Hospital NHS Trust on its £288m project for the construction of a new Children's Hospital in Liverpool.
- Advising private sector joint venture entities on their bids for the £2bn Sheffield Highways maintenance PFI project and Hounslow/Isle of Wight Highways maintenance PFI projects.
- Lead legal support for Data Center developers on the design and construction contracts including support on energy solutions for the Data Centers such as multi-fuel generation plants and usage of excess heat in district heating systems.
Local Authority View #52
May 2023 #52 Your round-up of local authority related news and views
Rupert's areas of expertise
- Central Government & Agencies
- Energy from Waste
- Carbon Capture Usage and Storage
- Higher Education
- Local Government
- City Assets - Making the most of public assets
- Climate Change
- Resources & Waste
- Waste and Energy PPP Schemes
- Contract Management
- Construction & Engineering Overview
- Construction and Engineering Contracts
- ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance)
- Facilities Management
- PFI/PPP Projects
- PFI Expiry