I am a Legal Director at Bevan Brittan in the Procurement, Subsidy Control and Competition team, specialising in subsidy control and procurement law. I also have an extensive record advising clients across a wide variety of public funding arrangements.
In addition to advising on public law requirements, I have experience drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts, including a large number of R&D collaborations with industry, academia and the charities sector.
My clients have included a large number of NHS trusts and healthcare providers (alongside NHSE), multiple public authorities, LEPs, not for profits and higher education providers (HEIs), as well as many private sector operators.
I have a keen interest in large scale infrastructure and regeneration projects, as well as having extensive experience across the life sciences, health, housing, education, arts and transport sectors.
Having spent a period of time in a senior in-house public sector role, my approach is pragmatic and solutions focused, providing strategic and practical support to clients in what are often complex areas of law.
I regularly provide legal updates and more formal training to both clients and colleagues on both subsidy control and compliance with the UK’s public procurement regime.
I am a member of the UK State Aid Law Association and the Procurement Lawyers Association.
- Advising an NHS body in respect of the procurement of a major transformational IT system, worth circa £1.7m billion and expected to take several years to complete.
- Advising an NHS body on the subsidy law implications of a very large investment to support its supply chain (valued at circa £45m).
- Advising on all subsidy control compliance aspects of a significant new sports regeneration project in the North West (confidential) valued at circa £14m.
- Legal lead for the delivery of a £13m major new infrastructure project at Alderley Park in Cheshire, supported by a significant public infrastructure grant from Cheshire and Warrington LEP. Personally responsible for negotiating all funding arrangements, subsidy law compliance and procurement compliance, as well as the management of an extensive team of external legal experts for all construction and real estate aspects of the project.
- Advising a social housing provider on the grant funding and subsidy control issues surrounding its multi-million-pound bid applications to the Brownfield Housing Fund.
- Advising an arts focused CIC on its grant funding application (including the subsidy control elements) to Arts Council England.
- Responsible for assessing initial and continued status and application of both the public procurement regime and UK subsidy control law to a major testing lab operation (an extensive PCR testing facility set up and operated out of Alderley Park, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic).
- Advising a major North West local authority on multiple large education-based projects aimed at improving the life skills and employability of disadvantaged individuals across the region.
- Advised a large local authority on its roll-out of fuel cell technology on central bus services as a demonstrator transport project including production and distribution of H2 fuel.
- Advising a major UK charity on its successful defence of a State aid challenge worth over £10m.
- Management of all EU State aid (as was) due diligence assessments on a wide range of applications from across industry on behalf of three major funds.