I am a partner in the Health & Care Regulatory team and specialise in health and social care law and public and regulatory law more generally. I work with local authorities, health and care providers in the NHS, independent and third sector and central government departments.
I have worked as a public and administrative lawyer specialising in community care, with a focus on vulnerable adults and children, mental health, health care, safeguarding, education and human rights law both in the public and private sectors for 20 years acting in cases which often intersect with claims under the Equality Act 2010. I have acted in some novel and significant cases in the Supreme Court and House of Lords.
Having worked in-house in central and local government legal departments and in healthcare regulation, I am well placed to advise on policy and contentious matters, always being mindful of the wider context.
Within my broader practice, I advise on safeguarding and education with particular experience of appeals in the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs & Disability) and claims for judicial review brought in connection with EHC plans and associated obligations under the Education Act 1996 and Children and Families Act 2014.
In the Court of Protection, I have acted for local authorities, health bodies and family members across a spectrum of work including personal welfare, deprivation of liberty, best interests, medical treatment and property and affairs. I also act in cases in the High Court invoking the inherent jurisdiction in respect of vulnerable adults and children.
I have experience in inquisitorial proceedings including inquests, independent investigations and public inquiries. I have assisted both statutory and private organisations who are witnesses to proceedings, in addition to core participants in major statutory public inquiries (IICSA, Bloody Sunday, Brook House).
I advise in respect of a broad range of regulatory matters including CQC, Charity Commission, Ofsted and Ofqual registration, compliance and enforcement.
- I have represented numerous public bodies in high profile and sensitive inquest hearings and investigations particularly in the fields of adult social care, public health and faith organisations. I work closely with clients throughout the preparation process, including in respect of any organisational learning relevant to pre-empting Regulation 28 reports.
- I regularly advise local authorities and third sector organisations in relation to safeguarding, investigations, whistleblowing and complaints including drafting policies and procedures.
- I have acted in the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA), the Brook House Inquiry and the Bloody Sunday public inquiry.
- I have extensive experience in advising clients facing many issues as a result of historic sexual abuse allegations, including participation in inquiries, reviews and investigations as well as redress schemes.
- I advise on the commissioning, funding and procurement of services by local authorities and ICBs.
- I have provided advice to local government Adult Safeguarding Boards on legal and strategic issues and was involved with the Department of Health consultation for the implementation of the Liberty Protection Safeguards.
- I have advised local authorities and other public bodies in respect of constitution and governance as well as powers and statutory interpretation.
Amrita's areas of expertise
- Central Government & Agencies
- Higher Education
- Independent Health
- Local Government
- Senior Living
- Social Care
- Administrative and Public Law
- Regulatory challenges
- Judicial review
- Charity Law
- Litigation & dispute resolution
- Whistleblowing and raising concerns
- Equalities, diversity and discrimination
- Combatting Sexual Harassment Training
- Health & Social Care Integration
- Health, Care & Regulatory Law
- Care Quality Commission – Inspection Readiness and Response
- Children's Services
- CQC Regulation
- Deprivation of Liberty
- Internal Investigations and Inquiries in Health
- Mental Capacity and the Court of Protection
- Mental Health
- Serious Medical Treatment
- Liberty Protection Safeguards
- Investigations & Inquiries
- Internal Investigations and Inquiries
- Inquiries and Reviews
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution