I am a Legal Director in the Litigation, Advisory & Regulatory team at Bevan Brittan and work in the Birmingham office.
I specialise in health and safety and criminal regulatory law and advise on a wide range of regulatory legal issues including health and safety, building safety, fire safety, product liability, food safety, white collar crime, contentious environmental and transport law. I represent clients (both companies and individuals/directors) at inquests, PACE interviews and in relation to prosecutions. I also provide clients with advice on a wide variety of regulatory issues and carry out a large amount of training for them.
I act for a mixture of clients, from large multi-national organisations to individuals, across a wide range of industries, including construction, manufacturing, care, energy, waste, higher education, utilities, retail and charities.
I can’t speak highly enough of Louise Mansfield who really gets to understand the people involved makes you feel at ease and is a consummate professional.
I am ranked in the legal directories for health and safety work as a key lawyer/rising star. I have a Masters’ degree in Safety, Health and Environmental Law, I am a Management Committee member of the Birmingham Health, Safety & Environment Association (BHSEA) and I am also vice-chair of governors at a local junior school.
- Representing a global infrastructure company following a fatal accident on one if its sites where it was the principal contractor. The client was found not guilty after a trial.
- Representing another leading international construction group in relation to three serious accidents it had over a 6 month period, which involved two fatalities and two people sustaining serious injuries, supporting the internal and HSE investigations and arguing against corporate manslaughter charges.
- Defending a health and safety consultancy in a fire safety prosecution. The case was withdrawn and the client found not-guilty before the trial even started.
- Representing a railway maintenance contractor in an investigation by the British Transport Police, ORR, Network Rail and RAIB following a fatal accident to its safety manager on the railway.
- Representing a manufacturer following a fatal accident. Following an inquest and legal submissions, the HSE was persuaded that it did not need to prosecute the client and no further action was taken.
- Representing a well-known gas and electric company in two cases following allegations about dangerous roadworks. In one the company was praised for its management of safety and only fined £8,000 (the Prosecution had suggested the fine should be £2.4million) and in the other, the case was withdrawn.
- Representing a number of Universities through inquest proceedings following the deaths of students.
- Advising a number of major clients following the discovery of asbestos, including a major retailer who discovered asbestos in its stores and a construction company who discovered potential asbestos in high end residential apartments.
- Representing an airport in relation to a HSE investigation after a worker was run over on the airfield. The HSE have confirmed that they will not be taking any further action.
- Acting for a number of highway maintenance contractors following fatal accidents on the road, representing them at inquests and in relation to police investigations.
Louise Mansfield is knowledgeable, sensible and commercial.
Louise Mansfield is deeply committed to this field. Her work is detailed and analytical.