I am a commercial and projects lawyer advising clients on a range of contractual and commercial matters including public procurement compliance and procedures, subsidy control (formerly State aid) as well as the management and variation of contracts during their life.
I am also an experienced corporate governance lawyer with a particular focus on local authority governance, local government law and the establishment of new delivery models including joint ventures and wholly owned companies.
I advise clients at all stages of their projects from initial appraisal, implementation design and decision making through to negotiating the required documentation, completion and post completion.
My clients include local authorities, housing associations and both joint venture and wholly owned entities within those two sectors.
Prior to working in private practice I was an in-house commercial solicitor at Leicestershire County Council for several years advising on commercial and governance matters.
I hold the Law Society’s Diploma in Local Government Law and Practice and I am ranked as a 'Rising Star' for Local Government in the Legal 500 2023 and as an 'Associate to Watch' in Chambers 2023.
- Leading a team advising a local authority on the establishment of its joint venture arrangements (including a limited liability partnership) with local entrepreneurs for the delivery of a cyber, creative and cultural innovation centre.
- Advising a local authority on a share acquisition in a Teckal compliant waste company and the subsequent long term waste contract.
- Advising a local authority on its competitive dialogue procurement process for a long term residual waste solution.
- Advising two local authorities on their joint competitive dialogue procurement process for a highways maintenance solution.
- Advising a local authority throughout the process of a refinancing by its PFI contractor.
- Advising a local authority on a historic dispute with its PFI contractor concerning sums due under the contract.
- Advising a local authority on the extension and variation of all of its waste contracts in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advising on the establishment (including limited companies and limited liability partnerships) and operation of several joint ventures between local authorities and housing associations for the delivery of regeneration and housing.
He is knowledgeable, very personable to work with, and always delivered work to the agreed time.
Alex's areas of expertise
- Central Government & Agencies
- Energy from Waste
- Housing & Regeneration
- Local Government
- Resources & Waste
- Waste Collection
- Waste and Energy PPP Schemes
- Administrative and Public Law
- Contract Management
- PFI/PPP Projects
- Strategy & planning
- Procurement preparation
- Running the procurement process
- Procurement after contract award
- Procurement Training & Guidance