I am a construction lawyer with over 15 years’ experience in disputes avoidance and resolution. I provide astute and pragmatic legal advice blended with industry knowledge and commercial awareness, throughout the full life-cycle of buildings and infrastructure assets. My clients tell me they appreciate my user-friendly approach and support when facing disputes which are often complex and multi-faceted.
I act for local authorities, the NHS, developers, contractors, consultants and funders across a broad range of projects in both public and private sectors, including leisure, commercial and residential developments, healthcare and waste to energy. I have a particular interest in the law and practice of construction adjudication.
- Advising on claims relating to allegedly deficient wind loading calculations as part of a complex roof design at an Energy from Waste facility in Cornwall.
- Providing strategic advice on potential claims arising under a series of agreements for the design, development and installation of energy saving technologies and measures across a hospital estate in Somerset.
- Representing a local authority in a number of claims concerning architectural, mechanical and electrical defects at a regional leisure centre in Devon. The value of remedial works was estimated at over £15m.
- Fire Safety - providing strategic and legal advice on claims relating to external cladding design.
- Successfully represented a groundwork subcontractor in a final account adjudication where allegations of defects (in relation to the manufacture of precast concrete culverts) were raised. The adjudicator’s Decision was summarily enforced by the Technology and Construction Court and the main contractor’s Part 8 claim was dismissed.
- Advised on a £10m+ defects claim concerning heavy duty port pavement
Matthew's areas of expertise
- Energy from Waste
- Resources & Waste
- Waste Collection
- Waste and Energy PPP Schemes
- Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Litigation & dispute resolution
- Construction & Engineering Overview
- Construction and Engineering Contracts
- Construction and Engineering Disputes
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- PFI/PPP Projects
- PFI Expiry