I have over 30 years as a specialist in public & regulatory law and advise across the broad range of public sector issues, ranging from central to local government, NDPBs, professional regulators, private companies, national charities and other entities with public functions. This covers advice on all aspects of public law and related litigation including judicial review, statutory appeals and Tribunals.
I am ranked as a Band 1 lawyer for Administrative & Public Law in Chambers and a leader for public sector in Legal 500. I am also recommended in the directories for local government, elections, professional discipline and information law. I am ranked in the top ten public policy lawyers nationally in the parliamentary publication, Mace Index.
She has a wonderful knack for making you feel like you're her only client.
Having a pure generalist approach to public & regulatory law means I have built up a core expertise that can be deployed in many different areas but with the confidence that I am abreast of all public law developments, regardless of sector.
I have a particular expertise in:
- Inquiries and investigations working for or having worked on the Covid Inquiry, the Independent Child Sexual Abuse Inquiry, the Grenfell Inquiry, the Brook House Inquiry and the Infected Blood Inquiry. I have been appointed individually as an independent investigator in local government and am an independent adjudicator.
- Central Government, having worked previously on the Crown Commercial framework for Central Government and in-house at the Home Office and Treasury Solicitors including expertise in Parliamentary procedure and legislative drafting.
- Local government audit, as am the national leader in providing legal advice in the private sector in this area.
- Professional regulation, having been for many years a legal assessor and adviser in public law to a range of professional regulatory bodies.
- Freedom of Information, having acted on many requests, First Tier and Upper Tier Tribunal cases.
- Public law for regulators in the time of coronavirus, The Law Society Gazette
- Waiving privilege and ‘cherry picking’, The Law Society Gazette
- I have led a major investigation into the finances of a local authority for an external auditor including the first ever use of an advisory notice for a bankrupt authority.
- I have acted for a financial institution in securing an injunction against a public body.
- I have drafted legislation for regulatory bodies, MPs and foreign governments.
- I have worked on the Covid, Child Sexual Abuse, Grenfell, Infected Blood and Brook House Inquiries.
- I act for a Parliamentary regulator.
- I am advising a professional regulator on an international prosecution.
- I have been appointed to act as an independent investigator in relation to a local government’s corporate governance arrangements.
- I am acting for a national appointing audit body on its powers and duties.
- I have worked for national charities in relation to their statutory investigations by the Charity Commission.
- I advised on the creation of a separate and independent regulatory body for a profession.
- I have advised on the constitutional amendments for a key legal regulator.
She has impressive expertise and you can tell her clients trust her.
Melanie has a very keen and skilled legal mind but she makes it easy to understand and gives really good advice. She has your interests at heart.
Melanie's areas of expertise
- Central Government & Agencies
- Local Government
- Administrative and Public Law
- Ombud schemes
- Regulatory challenges
- Judicial review
- Charity Law
- Litigation & dispute resolution
- Equalities, diversity and discrimination
- CQC Regulation
- Internal Investigations and Inquiries in Health
- Regulatory Due Diligence
- Information Law
- Freedom of Information Act
- Investigations & Inquiries
- Internal Investigations and Inquiries
- Inquiries and Reviews
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution